Worcester City Council
Gheluvelt Park, which was originally named Barbourne Park, after the local area, contains an excellent play area, Splash Pad interactive water play space, tennis courts, a Sons of Rest Pavilion, bandstand and pond as well as a striking World War 1 interpretative feature.
The park was renamed in honour of the Worcestershire Regiment and was opened on the 17th June 1922 to commemorate the Regiment's 2nd Battalion after their part in the World War 1 battle that took place in Gheluvelt (near Ypres), Belgium on 31st October 1914. Field Marshall John French, 1st Earl of Ypres, opened the park.
The park has recently completed a £1.4 million (October 2010) restoration project supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund. The work has ensured that the existing heritage features such as walls and railings, band stand and ornamental gates have been restored, all horticultural elements have been renovated.