The Olympic Cup or “Coupe Olympique” is an award given annually by the International Olympic Committee. It was instituted by Baron Pierre de Coubertin in 1906 and is awarded to an institution or association that has made a significant contribution to actively developing the Olympic Movement.
In 1931 The National Playing Fields Association, as Fields in Trust was then known, received this prestigious recognition. The award was enthusiastically announced in the NPFA journal, The Playing Field which reproduced a letter, sent by Count Baillet Latour – the Chairman of the International Olympic Committee to NPFA President HRH the Duke of York. The citation read: “...the International Olympic Committee desires to acknowledge the wonderful work being done by the National Playing Fields Association ... for the provision of Playing Fields in Great Britain”
Whilst the cup remains at the Olympic Museum, in Campagne Mon-Repos in the IOC home city of Lausanne recipients each have a diploma – ours is proudly displayed in our meeting rooms alongside our Royal Warrant and other treasures from our 90 year history.
Other British recipients of the Coupe Olympique have been:
The work of Fields in Trust remains the same today as it was in 1931, to ensure everyone has access to free, local, outdoor space for sport, play and recreation. Read more about the 90 year history of Fields in Trust in our Impact Report.