The cold, winter days are traditionally seen as a time to be locked away indoors, but that doesn't need to be the case.
There are plenty of reasons to cast off that onesie, get outdoors and head down to your local park when the snow arrives. Here are a few ideas to give you some inspiration.
1) Stay healthy
- It goes without saying that getting outdoors and active down at your local park helps you to stay healthy, but the benefits are amplified in the winter. The cold weather will make your body work harder meaning you'll get more of a workout than in summer months. If there's snow on the ground then your muscles will also work harder to help you stay balanced and moving through the slippery stuff!
2) Feel revitalised
- We can easily spend too much time indoors during the cold, short days. This means we can often lack enough Vitamin D. By getting outdoors and into the sun's rays, even for 10-15 minutes each day, we can get that vital Vitamin D to help us stave off the effects of SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder). By getting active in the fresh air you'll also help yourself to fall asleep quicker at night and ensure a better night's sleep, helping you to feel revitalised the next morning and ready to face the day. Why not take a stroll through your local park on your lunch hour?
3) Keep that New Year's resolution
- Made a New Year's resolution to get fitter this year? Sticking to it doesn't have to be a chore! Just head down to your local park - the whole place is nature's gym and is completely free! Go for a run, a brisk walk, kick a football about. Some parks will even have outdoor gym equipment that is free for you to use.
4) You can try something new
- The changing seasons bring a range of new sports that you can try out and get involved in. Anyone for curling? Or perhaps ice skating!
5) Do you want to build a snowman or go sledging?
- The best thing about the freshly lain snow, however, is the opportunity to get down to your local park, go sledging, build a snowman, or have a good old-fashioned snowball fight with your mates.
6) See your park in a different light
- The different position of the sun will mean that your local park looks different in winter to how it would look at the same time in summer with the shadows at different angles and fewer leaves on the trees. Our parks and playing fields can be just as beautiful in winter as they are in summer. Get out there and explore!
7) See the stars
- Your local park can be a great place to do some stargazing. The lower levels of light pollution mean that more will be visible with the naked eye and the shorter days mean you'll be able to see the stars earlier in the evening. Pick a clear night, head down to your local park, give your eyes a few minutes to acclimatise to the low light and just look up!
8) You'll feel the benefit!
- Of course one of the best things about going outdoors in the cold weather is coming back indoors to warm up! Get some fresh, crisp air down at your local park before heading home to a warm drink and cosy fire.
A park isn't just for summer!
Heading out to your local green space this winter? Tweet us your pictures using the hashtag #LoveYourLocalPark and show why your local park matters to you.
Need inspiration? Find your local Fields in Trust protected site simply by putting your postcode into our Fields Finder.
Our local green spaces need friends like you. Help ensure there will always be places to get outdoors in winter by donating to support our work protecting parks and playing fields forever.