Coventry City Council
The War Memorial Park, covering 120 acres, was established and formally opened on the 9th July 1921.
After WW1, Coventry Corporation (as it was known then) wanted to erect a memorial for the people of the city who had courageously given their lives for their country. The then Mayor, Cllr Joseph Innis Bates set up a Town's Committee and together they decided that a memorial park offered a simple way to commemorate - but would also a lasting legacy for the people of Coventry to enjoy.
The land which covered 120 acres, was purchased for £31,000. A small group of wealthy subscribers provided two thirds of the funds required and the Honourable Arthur Gregory returned £2,000 of the price to help fund the creation of the park.
The War Memorial was built in 1927 and is around 90 feet high. A competition was set up for a design for the War Memorial, which was won by an architect called Mr Tickner. It is made of Portland stone and was built by John Gray, who once lived at Coombe Abbey. Gray was known as a great builder who also built the Courtaulds works at Foleshill and a number of housing estates, including Wyken and Stoke.
Inside the Memorial is a room called the Chamber of Silence. Every year on Remembrance Sunday, it is open for the public to view the "Roll of the Fallen", books listing all of the Coventry servicemen who were killed in the two World Wars and even as recently as the Gulf War.