UK’s Best Park, as voted by YOU! 2017
Home > Enjoy > Fields in Trust Awards > UK's Best Park
Parks and playing fields are the heart and soul of communities. Is your local park the best in the UK? Celebrate it with UK's Best Park - nominations are now open!
UK's Best Park returns for a third year having seen Rouken Glen Park emerge from over 200 nominations to take last year's title. This year it could be your favourite local green space which is named as the nation's favourite.
It might be that your local park is great for a Sunday afternoon stroll, or that your local playground is a hive of activity for children. We want to know what makes the space so special and why it deserves the recognition of being named UK's Best Park.
See which parks have already been nominated and if your favourite local green space isn't on the list nominate it today!
How can I get involved?
- Nominations for UK's Best Park, as voted by YOU! 2017 are now open.
- In order to nominate you'll need to submit a short 50 word description explaining why you think your favourite local green space is the UK's best. Please take a moment to read the Terms & Conditions of the competition.
- You have until 5pm on Friday 13th October to get your nomination in.
- Voting opens at 9am on Saturday 14th October. In order to be voted for a park must first be nominated.
- Make sure you spread the word to all your friends and family to encourage them to vote for your favourite local green space as the UK's best. Voting will close at 5pm on Friday 3rd November.
- The park with the most votes in each of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland will be shortlisted. Their nominators will be invited to attend the prestigious Fields in Trust Awards on Wednesday 29th November where the UK's Best Park, as voted by YOU! 2017 will be named.
Find out which parks near you have already been nominated for UK's Best Park 2017 by following one of the below links. Is your favourite local green space already nominated? Sign-up to be notified once voting opens at 9am on Saturday 14th October so you can vote for it as UK's Best Park. Don't see your local park on the list - why not nominate it now!
UK's Best Park, as voted by YOU! 2016
Rouken Glen Park in East Renfrewshire was named UK's Best Park, as voted by YOU! 2016 at the Fields in Trust Awards at Lord's Cricket Ground on Wednesday 30th November. Rouken Glen Park was described in its nomination for the Award as 'a place for people and nature'. Opened in 1906, visitor numbers last year reached nearly 1,000,000. The park is designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest, has been awarded Green Flag status and has received investment from Heritage Lottery Fund grants. The Award was presented by former international footballer, and Trustee of Fields in Trust Graeme Le Saux and TV sports broadcaster Jill Douglas.
UK's Best Park, as voted by YOU! 2015
Last year, Telford Town Park in Shropshire was named UK's Best Park 2015 in a competition that saw over 10,000 votes cast. The well-used and much-loved park beat fellow shortlisted sites Gheluvelt Park in Worcester and Duthie Park in Aberdeen to the inaugural title.
Since winning the award The Friends of Telford Town Park were congratulated in Parliament by DCMS Minister Tracey Crouch, were honoured with a civic reception to thank them for their work and featured in a series of videos created to celebrate Her Majesty The Queen’s 90th Birthday.
Find out more
Contrary to popular opinion, there is no statutory protection for parks and playing fields in the UK. Fields in Trust is the only UK-wide organsiation working to secure forever the local green spaces that matter to so many. Over 2,700 sites across the country are currently protected with Fields in Trust, covering over 30,000 acres.
You can find out more about our work by: