We were founded by King George V in 1925 as the National Playing Fields Association and are proud of our long heritage protecting parks and green spaces. Today we are fortunate to have the active support of our President HRH The Duke of Cambridge who took over this role when HRH The Duke of Edinburgh retired after 66 years. HM The Queen has been Patron of the charity since 1952 and we are grateful for her long-standing involvement.
During his long and committed service HRH The Duke of Edinburgh was involved in every aspect of the organisation. As well as regularly working in the office he attended opening ceremonies of protected parks and playing fields, played in many fundraising cricket matches and hosted charity galas. We are enormously indebted to him for his support.