Protection Type Centenary Fields
April 2016 Protected since
Bentra Golf Course and Diamond Jubilee Wood in Whitehead sit adjacent to each other on the East Antrim coast with commanding views across countryside towards the Irish Sea....
Bentra Golf Course and Diamond Jubilee Wood in Whitehead sit adjacent to each other on the East Antrim coast with commanding views across countryside towards the Irish Sea. Between 1915-1917 the site was home to Whitehead Aerodrome, the first military aviation facility in Ireland and one which played an important role in the First World War. At least four airships - known as ‘Battlebags’ by their crews - operated from the aerodrome and patrolled the waters between Northern Ireland and Scotland with the primary role of protecting the Princess Maud cross channel ferry and guarding incoming convoys from the North Channel. Airship crews would take to the skies to scout from the air looking for German submarines or the signs of periscopes. In 1935, part of the site was designed by James Braid to provide a 9-hole golf course which remains today along with a 18-hole mini golf course.
Adjacent to these is Whitehead Diamond Jubilee Wood which officially opened on 23rd June 2012 to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee. The 60 acre woodland contains 60,000 trees, a fruit tree orchard, a 2km of path network, a 1000sqm pond, outdoor gym, picnic area and a sculpture designed by artist Kevin Killen and local school children. Whitehead Diamond Jubilee Wood is the only Diamond Jubilee Wood in Northern Ireland.